Friday, October 22, 2010

House Prices

The never-ending debate about house prices continue, with The Economist providing some ammunition for those arguing that Australia's house prices are ripe for a fall. In Queensland the property sector is far from buoyant but there's also a chance that we could be in for a period of settled prices. To be honest I haven't a clue, although I know the cases for both sides (see earlier posts for the debate).

A house price fall would be negative for many people in Australia partly because rising house prices make people feel wealthier. I think it's unlikely that there'll be a rapid price fall anytime soon, which means that I'll be forever locked out of the housing market!

But anyway here's The Economist's table:



From 1997 to 2010 house prices increased by 220%. I knew there was something I should have been doing with my cash in the 1990s instead of going out for expensive breakfasts all the time. Looks like I missed the boat, but maybe we'll be thinking in 2023, "sheesh I wish I'd bought a house in 2010". Who knows?

What we do know is that right now it's much better to be living in Australia than in other countries where they speak English.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be civil ...